March 12: Celebrate Open Education Week with Community College OER ShowcasesMarch 4, 2014
Please join the Community College Consortium for Open Educational Resources (CCCOER) for three free webinars on Wednesday, March 12 to celebrate Open Education Week. Each webinar features multiple innovative community college OER projects from Washington, Oregon, Arizona, California, and Virginia. Hear from faculty, librarians, program managers, deans, and curriculum developers involved in college-wide, district-wide, and state-wide projects to support the adoption of OER and open textbooks to expand access and enhance teaching and learning.
Community College OER Showcases: Washington’s OER Faculty Training and Lane College’s OER Faculty Fellowship Program
This webinar starts at 11:00 am (PDT), 2:00 pm (EDT) and will showcase two innovative OER faculty development projects at U.S. community colleges in Washington and Oregon. Login: http://goo.gl/xscTFE
• Boyoung Chae, Program Manager of Open Education and eLearning, at the Washington State Board of Community and Technical colleges will demonstrate the public online faculty training course: “How to Use Open Educational Resources”.
• Jen Klaudinyi, Reference and Instruction Librarian, will give an overview of Lane Community College’s award winning faculty professional development initiative that incentivizes instructors to adopt OER.
Community College OER Showcases: Maricopa Millions OER Project, Kaleidoscope at Cerritos College, and Northern Virginia’s OER-based General Education Program
This webinar starts at noon (PDT), 3:00 pm (EDT) and will showcase three innovative OER projects at U.S. community colleges in Arizona, California, and Virginia. Login: http://goo.gl/PVD0HZ
• Paul Golisch, Dean of Instructional Technology, Paradise Valley College will share the strategies and successes of the Maricopa Millions OER Project, a district-wide effort to promote faculty development and adoption of OER for the 10 highest-enrolled courses.
• Dr. Cynthia Alexander, Distance Education Coordinator and Educational Technology Department Chair will share the Kaleidoscope OER course development and adoptions at Cerritos College.
• Natalie Clewell, Librarian at the Extended Learning Institute of Northern Virginia Community College, will share the team-based approach of librarians, faculty, and instruction designers working together to successfully launch the OER-based General Education Program in fall 2013.
Community College OER Showcases: Scottsdale College’s OER Math Program and Tacoma College’s Liberate Project
This webinar starts at 1:00 pm (PDT), 4:00 pm (EDT) and will showcase two innovative OER projects at U.S. community colleges in Arizona and Washington State. Login: http://goo.gl/7m3aaR [fixed login 3/07/2014]
• Dr. Donna Gaudet, Mathematics Department Chair at Scottsdale Community College in Arizona will share the three-year odyssey of developing and adopting OER for all the math curriculum from arithmetic through pre-calculus. Results presented will include the cost savings and feedback from students on using the new materials.
• Quill West, OER Project Director, has lead the Liberate Project at Tacoma Community College in Washington since 2011 promoting OER awareness and adoption among faculty and students. The project saved students an estimated $271,000 in textbook costs in the first nine months and encourages student advocacy in OER selection and adoption.